Monday, March 15, 2010

Long Cove Garden Club visits for a demonstration



Today I had the pleasure of hosting a demonstration for the Long Cove Garden Club. Roughly 30 women, give or take, attended this demo at the studio.
The highlight of the presentation was to showcase my sugar work and flowers to discuss how it co-relates to what they do as a hobby. I demonstrated sugar flower making and coloring, as well as how to properly wire and tape live flowers to avoid contamination in cake. We talked about poisonous flowers, as well as flowers that are food safe and okay to eat (assuming they are organically grown without the use of pesticides or other harsh chemicals). I will post a list of those flowers below. I showed the lovely ladies how to decorate a small cake using live flowers, and then of course we cut and served the cake for all!
I hope they enjoyed the presentation as much as I enjoyed having them!
Here are some photos and then the list of flowers- enjoy!






My edible sugar flowers in the center of the crowd.
The cake I demonstrated.




And here a list of poisonous and non-poisonous flowers commonly used on wedding cakes-

Edible:
African Violets
Apple Blossoms
Camelias
Carnation
Dahlia
Chrysanthemum
Daisies
Dogwood
Gardenia
Hibiscus
Lavendar
Lilac
Petunia
Pansy
Plum Blossom
Roses
Tiger Lily
Stargazer Lily
Casablanca Lily
Zinnia

Poisonous:
Daffodil
Calla Lily
Anemone
Carolina Jasmine ( Yellow Jessamine)
Delphinium
Hydrangea
Gloriosa Lily
Lily of the Valley
Sweet Pea
Oleander



No comments: