Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Nintendo Wii Challenge! (Long with Back Story)

I am not a gamer by any means. For one, I don't have time to do much but cakes this time of year and for two, the last video game I really mastered was Sonic the Hedgehog #1 and 2 when I was 10 or so.

In June I bought my husband a Wii system for his birthday. I know it is all the rage amongst those "gamer" type and children alike so I figured it would buy my family many hours of entertainment while I was at the shop those late Friday and Saturday nights.

Let me back track a little here. Davis Household History: Our collection consists of Sega Genesis, N64, Playstation 1 and 2 and now Nintendo Wii. We skipped the GameCube/XBox era.

*******************************************************************************

BackStory (LONG) Skip To The End If You Just Want Challenge Info



June 13, 2008 (Happy Birthday to Hubby!)- Nathan and I have been trying to track down a Wii for 3 weeks. To no avail (after stopping by every Best Buy and Wal-Mart and Target everyday) no one had any. Morning of Hubby's birthday I had to buy another gift..the usual boring wife gifts like new clothes, essentials and maybe a PS2 game or two. Then one last effort I call the Best Buy in Beaufort (45min to an hour from me) and they have just one! I say...HOLD IT FOR ME PLEASE!!! I will be there when I close my store at 5pm. "No mam" says a reluctant clerk, "we hold them for just 1 hour."

At this point I am up to my elbows in butter cream and have no gas in my car (i'm terrible about stopping unless I have to). I say "forget it, I can't make it in an hour."

I let 10 minutes go by pondering whether or not this was the right decision since I really know he'll be very surprised since he is probably only expecting socks, undies and cologne from me.

I call back and say " I'll be there in 1 hour!"

I scoop Nathan up, get in the car, race across the street (cautiously) to get gas and head on my way to Beaufort. Mind you this is 1pm in the afternoon and it is lunch time in Hilton Head and Bluffton. This is the craziest time of day for traffic..I don't care what anyone says about 5pm! It takes me 1 hour and 12 minutes to finally get in the store.

I race to the counter and wait in line for what seems like forever. I approach the counter and say "there is a Nintendo Wii on hold for Sheri Davis"

A very serious techie says "Mam I'm sorry, we aren't authorized to put Nintendo Wiis on hold, I'm not sure who told you we would, but they really weren't supposed to do that. We are out"

My heart sank..no wait.. I felt my blood begin to boil (not letting it show).

A silent confused pause and then "Just kidding. Here it is"

I could have punched and kissed him all in the same motion.

I went and got the necessary accessories, and a couple games to get the hubby started and I was out of there as happy as could be.

What about the stand-by gift I bought before getting the Wii? Father's day was 2 days later so we were safe for that too! How Cool!


Hubby opens Wii, looks at me, looks at Wii, looks at me...says " You bought me a Wii?" My first reaction was maybe he didn't want one like the rest of society. I was puzzled and a little disappointed. I later found out he loved it but was just surprised to get something besides socks and undies (hey..there's always Father's Day right?).

******************************************************************************

1 week later

The Wii system comes with a series of games called Wii Sports. This includes Bowling, Tennis, Baseball, Golf and Boxing.

We love to bowl as a family and not have to go anywhere. Tuesday night PJ bowling is a favorite in our house now!

If you get a high enough average and maintain it you can go pro and get a sparkly ball. It's just an all around cute game. Not too serious, not great graphics, just fun.

Nathan, who is 4 mind you, bowled a 278 after just a week or so of playing! My highest is 238 and my husbands' is a 254.

***********************************************************************

The Challenge


If anyone here can or has bowled a 278 or higher, please comment this blog. Give your age, score and gender. I'm curious how crazy this is to do. To keep it fun, you can take a photo of your score on the screen and post that too. If you are unsure how to post, you can email it to me and I will post your score on your behalf (with permission of course)

I think this could be fun!

No comments: