Sunday, May 15, 2011

Congratulations!!

Creating cakes for different types of celebrations gives me the diversity I often need in this business. I'd be happy and content creating beautiful wedding cake after beautiful wedding cake every week, but I enjoy creating cakes for other celebrations too! I mean, honestly speaking, my job is a happy job. I meet with clients at the happiest times in their lives, and never have to create cakes for somber occasions or times of pain and grief....I have a happy job!

Occasionally, I will have a chance to do something that makes me really really happy! An event that is dear to me or a cake for someone close. This weekend, I got to do just that!

An old friend (well, she will kill me for using the word 'old' so let's re-phrase), a high school friend of mine graduated from law school yesterday. I have witnessed first-hand, through Facebook and other social media, that this was no easy feat for her. Ashley has often reminded all of us outside of the law school realm that she envied us for having a chance to live our lives normally, without being buried under the piles and piles of heavy and long-winded books full of terminology we will never understand. She kept us up-to-date on her study habits through procrastinating posts from the Starbucks study sessions she would have regularly. I know this moment is a special one for her. It's that finish line you tell yourself you are working towards, but never actually think you will see! I get it.....and she did it! We are all very proud of her and hope she feels she has plenty of time to make up for the years she was hiding under that opprobrious rock. Congrats, Ashley!

This cake is a stack of law books, complete with a hollow Criminal Law book made of sugar paste for which her parents hid her graduation gift inside. A sugar Starbucks coffee cup, tipped over, spilling coffee (made of fondant) adorns the display as well as a judges' gavel and a congratulatory message displaying her official title! I hope she loved the cake (well, I know she did)!




This grooms cake was created for a die-hard Dwight Schrute fan. For all who watch The Office, I hope you can appreciate this Dwight Schrute bobble head cake. The bobble head figurine was in working mechanical order, and did in fact 'bobble'. It is made of sugar paste and completely edible. I hope he enjoyed his cake!




This grooms cake was created for a University of South Carolina alumn and loyal Gamecock fan. USC logo cake-



Katherine and Adam- Westin Resort Ocean Pavilion.

It is truly amazing what wedding planner Amanda Spencer of Spencer Special Events can do! With the wonderful Westin Hilton Head Island Resort and Spa as a venue, Katherine and Adam were in great hands! Their reception set-up and decor was gorgeous!! This 4 tier cake was covered in smooth white butter cream with a pearlized fondant ribbon band at the base of each tier, trimmed at the top with hundreds of individual sugar pearls. Sugar calla lilies and leaves finished the look. I had a wonderful time working with this couple and creating their elegant and sophisticated cake. I hope they loved it!!



AND- I managed to have this gloriously beautiful Sunday off! What a wonderful weekend!!

Thanks for looking!

No comments: